History of the Indian Missionary Society
Religious Congregation with vows
Important Milstones in the Journey of the Society
Charism/Mission
Present Ministries
Ashram/ Spirituality Centers
Christ Bhakta Movement
Promotion of Human Rights/Justice
Service of the Poor/Marginalized
Inter Religious Dialogue
Communications
Santvana
Education Ministry
Developmental Works
Legal Aid
Health Care
Culture and Literature
Catholic Enquiry Centres
Prison Ministry and Dharma Bharti
 

With the consent of the members and in consultation with the bishops Msgr. Fernandez framed a Constitution for the IMS to be a religious congregation. With approval of the Sacred Congregation of Propaganda de Fide the Local Ordinary canonically erected the society as a Clerical Religious Congregation with vows on January 25, 1953, and appointed Msgr. Jos A. E. Fernandez as its first Superior General. On April 19, 1999 the Holy See raised Society to Pontifical Status.
Mgr Jos Fernandez trained members to shoulder various responsibilities. After 12 years of service, in 1959 he moved to Bangalore to take up other responsibilities at the behest of the Holy See. Fr. Sila Nath IMS was then appointed Pro-Superior. In April 1965 at its first General Chapter he was elected Superior General of the Society. He was succeeded later by Superior Generals Frs. Prabhu Prasad (1971-1983), Joseph Dilasa (1983-1995), Joseph Satyanand (1995- 2007) and Jose Subhash (2007-2012). Fr. Mahendra Paul,IMS, is the present Superior General (2012 - ).
In the course of nearly seven decades of its existence the IMS has grown and spread its activities to thirty one dioceses in India and abroad. To streamline the administration and further the apostolate more effectively, on 29th June 1992 IMS Delhi Province and IMS Varanasi Province were created. On 19 March 2004 the IMS Ranchi Delegation was created in order to develop the mission centres in Jharkhand and Chhattisgarh, which was raised to a Region.

 

 

 

 

 
     
Created by © Samtech